Orthodontists are dental practitioners who are focused on improving the smile of patients through various teeth alignment methodologies and effective facial development procedures.
Orthodontics is a specialty dentistry field that largely involves teeth straightening and alignment as well as correcting bite issues. An orthodontist is responsible for identifying problems with a patient’s teeth and is concerned with their overall oral health. Besides teeth straightening, orthodontists are also focused on treating other dental issues such as painful, misaligned bites, tooth movement due to bad habits, and in some cases, also help in the management of some forms of sleep apnea.
What procedures do orthodontists do?
First and foremost, an orthodontist helps you understand your existing problem that needs proper management and treatment. They offer different orthodontic procedures that will be best suited for your case.
For crooked or misaligned teeth, an orthodontist can offer you options that include clear aligners, metal braces or lingual braces among many others.
Other important functions that orthodontists do daily are as follows:
- Accurately diagnose teeth, jaw, and other dental-facial problems patients may have.
- Prepare diagnostic records to create a treatment plan that will work based on a patient’s variables.
- Orthodontists are also responsible for adjusting dental appliances and devices to guarantee proper fit during treatment.
What conditions are managed and treated by orthodontists?
If you have any of the following conditions, you may need the services of a skilled orthodontist in Canberra:
- Buck Teeth – A condition wherein the upper teeth are more forward than your lower set of teeth.
- If the upper teeth do not meet in front of your lower teeth when you bite them together.
- An open bite which refers to the gap between the biting edges of your front teeth does not meet or come into contact with the lower teeth.
- Misplaced midline that occurs when the centre of the upper teeth are not aligned with the centre of the lower teeth.
- Too many teeth along your dental ridge which is caused by the teeth being too big for a patient’s jaw.
If you think that you have problems with teeth alignment or you wish to improve the look of your smile, schedule an appointment with our skilled Canberra orthodontists today. Call our direct line on 1300 767 553 now.